Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

World Cesarean Section Day is January 14: My cesarean experience

My cesarean experience as an African in Diaspora

World Cesarean Day is an annual event celebrated globally on 14th of January. This day provides an opportunity to acknowledge and honor the experiences of mothers who have undergone cesarean sections, as well as to raise awareness about the significance of maternal health. In this blog post, we'll explore the history of World Cesarean Day, the reasons behind the observance, and the importance of supporting women's choices in childbirth. Will also share my personal experience on my c-sections, yes sections I have had 3 of them and they were not by choice.

The History of World Cesarean Day:
World Cesarean Day was first established to recognize the impact of cesarean sections on maternal and child health. The day serves as a platform to discuss the diverse reasons for choosing or requiring a cesarean birth and to dispel myths and stigmas associated with this method of delivery.

Reasons for Celebrating:

1. Empowering Birth Stories: World Cesarean Day celebrates the diverse and empowering birth stories of mothers who have undergone cesarean sections. Each birth is unique, and this day encourages sharing experiences that can inspire and support other mothers.
  2. Highlighting Maternal Health: The observance of World Cesarean Day is an opportunity to shed light on the importance of maternal health. Cesarean sections can be life-saving in certain situations, and this day emphasizes the significance of access to safe and timely surgical interventions.
  3. Reducing Stigma and Myths: There are often misconceptions and stigmas surrounding cesarean births. World Cesarean Day aims to challenge these myths and promote a better understanding of the factors that may lead to a cesarean delivery.
  4. Supporting Informed Choices: Advocates for World Cesarean Day emphasize the importance of supporting women in making informed choices about their birthing experiences. This includes recognizing the autonomy and agency of mothers in decision-making related to childbirth.

My Cesarean Story:

• My First c-section what an emergency c-section. I didn't know what it entailed, but I knew I kept screaming I am a keloid sufferer. Which they didn't understand, and my c-section scare became a big ugly lump of flesh.
  • My second c-section was not an emergency c-section but a bullied c-section. I went into active labour in the hospital while waiting to be induced. I had been there since 11am in the morning, I had been in labour all through but active labour started 11pm. I was transferred to the labour room, as soon as the doctor came in and checked my note he simply said what is she doing here she has had a c-section before this should be a repeat c-section. I used my last strength to explain to him I didn't want that. As soon as he saw I was not co-operating, he pulled out the "your baby is in distressed card". And off to the theater we went.
  • My third c-section, was the biggest medical bullying of them all. I was starved, dehydrated and continuously bullied to agree to a c-section. After 2 days of subjecting myself to the hospital torture, I signed the damn consent.

These experiences, personally, were far from pleasant, reflecting instances of medical bullying and a lack of consideration for my preferences and well-being.